......

......
I want to be that mother who can stand up and say I am a strong confident mother and I know what is best for my children. We breastfeed and co sleep, We listen, We include, We eat chocolate and snot smoothies, we trampoline and grow frogs, we sling, we carry and we try and understand and work with our children without resorting to punishments, threats or coercion.

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Screen Free Week Day 1


We decided as a family to do screen free week. The girls basically come home from school and have the TV on until bedtime. They use the computer too and their tablets. Sometimes they play whilst these things are on but there is never a moment when all screens are off. Hubby and I get the kids to bed and come downstairs around 10pm and watch TV until the wee small hours. Sometimes the wee small silly hours. I felt it would be good for all of us to have a break. So, wifi is unplugged. The tv is unplugged at back to stop temptation and the computer plug is hidden. 





Today was a bank holiday so the whole family was home. As is always the bloody way when they don't have to be up, the girls woke ridiculously early and went downstairs. Maia had a sneaky go on wolf quest until she was reminded by Ellie that we were screen free! The girls then spent the rest of the morning, until we came down, pretending to be the TV using a box. They made a remote control and had lots of fun being different channels!!! Not a moan for the real thing in site. 

Being a holiday meant hubby was home so I set him to work!!! Together, we sorted the garage, fed the lambs and tidied the house. I find it much easier to keep busy when I have company and I reckon because we were so busy, the girls kept busy too and they played outside the whole time. 

Later on, we took a drive meaning to go to a cool antique shop but it was closed so we went to the supermarket instead!! Hardly comparable but we needed some things. 

The rest of the evening was also spent playing outside on the tramampoline, on the bikes, now using the TV box as a robot box and then feeding the lambs. They just managed to be busy all the time. It was quite incredible to watch.  

I took Millie to bed at 9pm and our experiment to find out what hubby and I would do without tv was scuppered as I feel asleep completely exhausted from our non stop day of being active!!!

Losing the plot - none as kids were busy playing and out my hair
Meltdowns - none as kids were busy playing  
Breastfeeding - nothing's gonna change that habit!!


read the rest of the week here, here and here


No comments:

Post a Comment