......

......
I want to be that mother who can stand up and say I am a strong confident mother and I know what is best for my children. We breastfeed and co sleep, We listen, We include, We eat chocolate and snot smoothies, we trampoline and grow frogs, we sling, we carry and we try and understand and work with our children without resorting to punishments, threats or coercion.

Wednesday 6 May 2015

Midweek wobbler

Screen Free Week

I've had enough. I want my internet and my tv back. I want to be able to look stuff up when I want. I want to play scrabble. I want to go on facebook. I want to relax at the end of the night and watch crappy stress releasing American tv series's. 

Ellie's had enough. She came home from school played with the neighbour kid then out of the blue had a massive meltdown. She tried to get the TV to work, the cable had been removed, she tried to get the computer to work, the cable has also been removed, she can't find her tablet, it's been hidden. Poor girl completely lost it, started shouting and bawling, wouldn't let me touch her then ran to her bed. Little did I realise she had my phone and had found a wee pocket of 3G!!! When I took my phone back, she completely retreated inside her covers and refused to speak to me. She eventually fell asleep for half an hour. JUST BEFORE BEDTIME!! AAARRGH!!!

Maia has had enough. She nagged incessantly for her phone until I told her I didn't know where it was. She has managed to keep herself busy though playing with the lambs and having me read book after book to her. 

Millie hasn't actually asked to watch anything during the day. She's been happy to potter about with me. I'm absolutely  sure she wouldn't say no to being plonked in front of Peppa Pig. I'm not ashamed to say that her tv watching is purely for my benefit. 

Hubby gets to be on his computer all day and on the bus home so I bet he gets his fix. He's been printing stuff off from websites and reading them at night. Also I've been going to bed so who knows what he's been using!!!

I'm not sure about pushing through until Friday. It would be an achievement for us all but I'm just not sure I can manage another two days. I don't think it's fair to force the girls now. They were so keen before but now it's like a torture punishment!! I'm the one who is with them until 7.30pm, so it's like torture for me too!!!

We are all screen junkies. We like our screens. We like watching things. We like playing games. Where's the harm? There is more harm with meltdowns and freak outs and forcing the experiment to its conclusion. Really I'm not the best person to ask to continue this. Even to prove we can do it and get that sense of accomplishment. For what? Upset and resentment? 



Hmm, screen free week doesn't seem like such a great idea anymore. We were all happier before. Not feeling pushed and coerced. 

Wow! Are we addicts? 


Losing the plot -  too tired 
Meltdown - humongous and out of nowhere
Breastfeeding - fights galore


read the about the first day here and the other days here and here


No comments:

Post a Comment