......

......
I want to be that mother who can stand up and say I am a strong confident mother and I know what is best for my children. We breastfeed and co sleep, We listen, We include, We eat chocolate and snot smoothies, we trampoline and grow frogs, we sling, we carry and we try and understand and work with our children without resorting to punishments, threats or coercion.

Wednesday 20 August 2014

Of all the mums in all the school!!

I am sitting in the empty play park across the road from the school having dropped the girls off (on time, well a few mins before the bell) and I'm noticing little groups of mums chatting. I'm wishing some would come into the park with their little ones but one do. I realise the only way to get this mum ball rolling is to just walk up to a group and introduce myself. I chicken out of the first group, too big, too far away, Millie stills wants to be in play park, excuses excuses!! 

On the way back to the car I see two mums outside the gate and just go for it. "Hello!!" I say. "I'm new here, I have a kid in p4 and p2.", how about you?" Turns out they are new too with P1's, one of them had followed the school bus as her wee boy had insisted he wanted to go on it alone and she wanted to make sure he didn't pop over to the play park instead!! I ask about any groups for Millie and find out about that. We stand chatting for a bit and I tell them where we've moved from and to and how my girls seem happy and are already talking about this friend and that friend and it's such a difference from the previous school where it was so cliquey and I'd often be heartbroken watching Ellie sitting alone in the playground. 

Suddenly another mum comes striding up calling my name!!!??? "Hello, you probably don't remember me, we went to school together, you haven't changed a bit!!" Turns out she lives in the next wee village along and her son is in Ellie's class. I invited them over any time to play.

Soon we all dispersed and I walked with 'busmum' back to the car. We stop and chat a bit more. She has a 4m and is worried about her not getting enough milk and thinking of mix feeding. Of all the people to tell that too! How serendipitous!! I advise her that baby is probably upping her milk supply and her body knows what to do and makes the perfect amount, she is still early days post partum, she should be taking it a bit easier (hard with another kid!)




Now hear comes the craziest part.  I'm sure I've mentioned before I have this weird intuition thing, well it kind of extends to freaky coincidences too. 

Well, 'busmum' turns to me and says "Actually I know the house you live in, that was my family home and I grew up there with my two sisters. I was so happy to hear from my dad (who lived there 40yrs) that another family with 3girls had moved in". I was gobsmacked. I of course invited her over any time she wants to because she said her wee boy keeps asking to see inside. She was delighted. We swapped numbers. 

Of all the mums to pick to chat to!! 



Fingers crossed the girls continue to enjoy their first week and I continue to meet friendly mums who have a crazy connection to my life in some way!!




Meltdowns - a few after school tired ones from Maia 
Losing the Plot - far less this week although getting pissed off with lack of help from girls
Breastfeeding - using ma skillz!!

No comments:

Post a Comment