......

......
I want to be that mother who can stand up and say I am a strong confident mother and I know what is best for my children. We breastfeed and co sleep, We listen, We include, We eat chocolate and snot smoothies, we trampoline and grow frogs, we sling, we carry and we try and understand and work with our children without resorting to punishments, threats or coercion.

Sunday 30 March 2014

Is it worth the MASSIVE effort?

Do I want to be free of high blood sugars and the threat of type 2 diabetes? 

Although I'm only prediabetic, it's inevitable that I will develop type 2,  the GP said. I have many of the risk factors. Genetics, overweight, stress....

THE DIET RULES
This study on the 800 calorie diet, has only be done on 11 people, of them, 7 reversed their diabetes and there hasn't been a follow up yet. There is anecdotal evidence all over google of others who have tried it. Some didn't even do it to the letter. 

Sustainability afterwards is the key but maybe this is the injection turbo booster quick fix crash diet magic pill popping elixir I need. 

I anticipate that like lack of sleep, lack of food will create a crazed deprived mama and the short term result will NOT be fun. Or pretty. 

Long term though....it could be the jackpot. 

I crash dieted a lot when I was younger. I went through phases like most teenagers of poor body image and always *knew* my life would be better if I had a flat stomach. I became vegetarian firstly because I imagined it would mean eating less.  I tried that slimfast diet that was ALL over TV in the 80's.  I was so consumed with dieting I wished I was anorexic. I wished I had the will power and strength not to eat. How messed up is that!  Not eating was difficult. I like my food!  I was also bulimic for a few years. That was a joyful time. Not. Ultimately though it was all about trying to feel in control of my life. I see that now. 

This is also about taking control of a situation. I just don't know if I have the wherewithal or enough support. Could my family handle me even more crazy for two months! Can they afford not too? Diabetes can be problematic to say the least. I'm running out of time. 

Do you think this diet is possible for 8wks? 

Do you think I have the will power, the motivation, the strength?

Would you if your life depended on it?


Meltdowns - they will be mostly from me!
Losing the plot - I most probably will!! 
Breastfeeding - will it be affected?




Click the blue links for more information:

Info on the study:
from the University

Articles about the study: 

Articles from those who have tried it:
from The Guardian


No comments:

Post a Comment