......

......
I want to be that mother who can stand up and say I am a strong confident mother and I know what is best for my children. We breastfeed and co sleep, We listen, We include, We eat chocolate and snot smoothies, we trampoline and grow frogs, we sling, we carry and we try and understand and work with our children without resorting to punishments, threats or coercion.

Saturday 16 March 2013

Own it

A photographer is coming to our first night Seder for Passover (friend of my mums that she met on her Shetland trip). He wants to photograph  the meal but he also wants to come during the day and photograph preparations etc.

He said he's not really sure what he's looking for. I said he'd get chaotic family life (and may have said messy!). He liked the sound of that.

Mum gave me money to get the windows cleaned. She is horrified that I would be ok with him seeing them. I didn't even think about them FFS!! Of all the things I do and think about during my day with two kids and a baby, my windows are the least of it. I'm clearly failing in the Jewish housewife of the year - clean window category. I think mum *may* actually have said 'do you want to be known as the Dirty Jewish Mother of Glasgow?' I've been called better things. Remember BoobWoman?!!


Frankly though, I would rather someone hoovered and cleaned my floors and save my back.

I did tidy the whole house today almost satisfactorily. I hate that tidy and clean are different. He's not coming till the 25th March. So not much point. Really.

Anyway my dilemma is, do I take the blood window money and indulge my elderly highly-critical-freaking-out-about-my-frilly-dirty-windows-knickers-being-on-display mother OR do I make a stand, and leave the windows in their glorious child finger printed, picture glue remnants, pen stained natural I-have-a-busy-life-and-windows-are-not-top-priority state.

Part of me feels this is more than about clean windows. This is about me owning my life. Owning my home. Owning the chaotic messy crazy fun adventurous life that has become me and my family.

Maybe I should just take mums offer to 'let in more light' but Im sure the photographer will bring his own lighting.

I cleaned the windows just before Millie was born at the end of March. That was only to see if that was my unfinished business and labour would come on. Isn't once a year enough? Ha! In that case they *are* due for a clean!!

What Should I do?













2 comments:

  1. Ohh, get them cleaned, clean windows are lovely! Will she pay for mine to be done too?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once a year is more than our windows get done, or should I say got done, as things have much changed in the past month since paying to get the place cleaned. So I had them cleaned as I can't ever get the time for that (ok I paid it myself, with my mum no longer around to tell me how messy and dirty my house is), but as you said, it's your house your choice.

    ReplyDelete