......

......
I want to be that mother who can stand up and say I am a strong confident mother and I know what is best for my children. We breastfeed and co sleep, We listen, We include, We eat chocolate and snot smoothies, we trampoline and grow frogs, we sling, we carry and we try and understand and work with our children without resorting to punishments, threats or coercion.

Wednesday 10 November 2010

Lack of connection begets Lack of connection response to Mother Madness

I think what bothers me most in Erica Jongs article is the vilification of attachment parenting, i just cannot conceive how something with the word attachment in it could be perceived as something negative, unless it was the term, 'negative attachment'! or 'attachment disorder'


I guess she did what she felt was right....i just don't imagine ever being able to 'leave' my kids at such a young age and i don't believe it is healthy either. As her daughter says, she was in a fortunate position, (from her point of view) to be able to provide a baby nanny and a pony and private schools.. personally i would have used the money to *stay* with my kids.

Her daughter also says "I could never have raised kids and made money"  and I totally agree here and here is where I am in the position that Erica Jong wasn't in or chose not to be in, in that we have structured our lives in order for me to be able to stay at home and attach to my kids..i can totally see though why her mother felt she had to work...I sometimes wonder how we have managed it so far!!

I am willing to bet Erica Jong wasn't breastfed for long (if at all)...and the assertion that *her* daughter hated breastfeeding is ridiculous and clearly based on misinformation and lack of breastfeeding advice and support

We all love our children and want what's best for them, and here is the kicker..... "She was a million times better a mother to me than her mother had been to her" and  so and so and so....eventually the cycle will be broken......well thats my plan and it ain't perfect by any means!



No comments:

Post a Comment